Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Writing Places!

Couldn't put this book down!
Writing Places-The Life Journey of a Writer and Teacher by William Zinsser

Zinsser is a writer, editor and teacher, who began his careeer as a journalist in 1946 for the New York Herald Tribune. Today, he teaches writing at the New School and Columbia University. We get the inside view of a life as a writer- committed to the craft of good writing. We ebb through the highs and lows of his successes and challenges. As decades pass by, Zinsser replaces his typewriter with a Dell, and his writing style develops with the changing culture and trends. The perserverence of "staying at it" and writing EVERY day is the medicine to be a great writer.


Upon completion of this great little book, I ran out to my favorite independent bookseller to get Zinsser's 30th Anniversary Edition On Writing Well-The Classic Guide to Writing Non-Fiction. This is a marvelous "how to" book on writing. I am having more fun highlighting my way through this gem of a book. Eventually, I think I'll place these books in my library next to my copy of The Elements of Style by Strunk and White.

No comments: